Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Night Owl

      Recently I participated in a Goody Goody Gift Swap.   The idea is you are assigned a swap mate that you create and/or shop for and swap a gift with only having limited information about your partner.  You shared your favorite color plus 3 items about yourself.  I learned from Happy Owl that her favorite color is blue, she loves all critters, winter and textiles.  I told her that my favorite color was purple and I love turtles, eyes and eclectic items.

     I made her a 5x7 mixed media piece, sent this Suzie Blue Bracelet and some Ohio made Buckeye Candies from Waggoner Chocolates.  Here's the progression of my piece:
I began by roughly sketching my idea and adding ripped scrapbook paper and tissue paper with gel medium.

I then added some Glass Beads to acrylic paint and spread onto canvas.

The brown branch has Fiber Paste added to the paint and I began painting in the colors of the owl using Art Anthology Sorbet paints for a shimmery effect, outlining him with a black Fude Ball Pen. This pen is AMAZING to write with over paints and mediums!! I also toned down the bright blue by smudging some white paint with my finger and creating a lighter blue glaze by mixing acrylic paint with Fluid matte medium.
I then mixed some silver paint with fiber paste and stenciled in some stars and lightly outlined and smudged them with a Faber Castell Pitt pen.















Happy Owl should have received this December 28th and I hope she likes it! I had a lot of fun making it and think it turned out pretty cute!

Here was my cool gift I received - a painted glass feather and glass snowflake ornament!


This is the second year I have participated in the Goody Goody Gift Swap. So far, I have only seen it organized for the Christmas holiday. If you are looking for a fun and unique swap, I encourage you to try it! It's relatively affordable as they suggest a $20 limit. You never know what you will receive or what new friendship you may begin!

Happy Creating ~ Tonya :D

No comments:

Post a Comment